Dr. Deepthi S. Rao
Board Certified Pathologist
Why did you choose to specialize in Pathology?
In a nutshell, what has always drawn me to the field of pathology is the thrill of identifying diseases at the microscopic level and in a way it is like solving puzzles and medical mysteries every day. I am also a visual person by nature and I find great satisfaction in correlating clinical history, ancillary laboratory data, and pathophysiology of gastrointestinal and liver diseases with the examination of histology to arrive at the final diagnosis.
Do you have a specialty of interest within Pathology?
My specialty interest in pathology includes Gastrointestinal and Pancreatic Pathology, Hepatobiliary pathology and Pathology Informatics.
Where did you study?
Medical School: Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences in India.
Gastroenterology clinical research fellow.: Kansas City VA Medical Center
Residency training in the Anatomic and Clinical Pathology: University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City.
Fellowship training in gastrointestinal and pancreatobiliary pathology at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, and additional training in hepatopathology at Weill Cornell Medical Center.
What certifications do you hold?
Board certified in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology.
Do you have any special honors or recognitions in your medical career that you would like to share?
I have also authored numerous papers in Pathology, Gastroenterology, Gathology informatics, gastrointestinal/hepatic pathology and Biomedicine and Health Informatics.
- Fellow, Collage of American Pathologists
- Fellow, American Society of Clinical Pathology
- Pathology Fellow Representative, Informatics Committee, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center: July 2016 to June 2017
- USCAP Ambassador 2016- 2017
- ASCP resident representative – 2015-2016
- University of Kansas Pathology Research Forum Award - 2016
- University of Kansas Executive Resident Representative on various GME subcommittees – 2015-2016
- Dr. Ivan Damjanov Outstanding Resident Researcher Award – 2015
- Bill Pfeiffer and Mary Mcfee Outstanding Researcher Award – 2013
- Graduate Assistance Fellowship Scholarship Award, UMKC Women’s Council – 2013
- Nominated as youngest honorary member for International Inner Wheel Women’s Leadership Council – Dist 3160 - 2007
- Rotary Youth Leadership Award – 2007
Please list your professional affiliations.
Collage of American Pathologists
United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology
American Society of Clinical Pathology
Association of Indian Pathologists in North America
American Medical Association
American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin
Physicians for Social Responsibility